Michigan • https://www.nps.gov/slbe
Miles of sand beach, bluffs that tower 450’ above Lake Michigan, lush forests, clear inland lakes, unique flora and fauna make up the natural world of Sleeping Bear Dunes.
Information & Tips:
- Cost to enter the park is $25 for a private vehicle which is good for 7-days. Save money in the long run by purchasing an America the Beautiful Pass.
- The beach at Glen Haven is rated by some as one of the best beaches in the US – The water is pristine. Will get crowded in the summer months.
- The Dune Climb is a must experience point of interest.
- Make sure to drive the 7.8 mile Pierce Stocking Scenic Drive that leads you through some of the lakeshore’s most beautiful scenery including stunning views of North Bar Lake and a towering beechmaple forest
- Some of the dunes over the lake can be climbed down. Warning: It’s very difficult to come up and if you need to be rescued it will cost $3000.
- Dunes Trail [starts at the Dune Climb]: Start by climbing up a 284-foot-high dune of white sand and continue on the 3.5 mile out & back to the shores of Lake Michigan
- Sleeping Bear Dunes Overlook: Great overlook with a large dune climb if you’re up for it. 450’ high. 1/5 mile out & back
(~100 miles of trails)